I received my Bachelors and Research Masters degrees in social psychology from Tilburg University in 2006 and 2008, respectively. In 2011, I completed my PhD degree at the University of Limerick, investigating the psychological signature and consequences of boredom in collaboration with Dr. Eric Igou. This was followed by a post as lecturer (assistant professor) in psychology, lecturing mainly on statistics and economic psychology. In April 2013, I joined the School of Psychology of the University of Southampton as Research Fellow working primarily with Prof. Constantine Sedikides and Dr. Tim Wildschut. Since September 2015 I am lecturer at King's College London.
I am a social cognition researcher. My research mainly concerns decision making, emotion, and motivation, using experimental methods. A major part of my research involves the study of nostalgia and boredom, and how these experiences affect phenomena such as economic behaviour, intergroup processes, and self-regulation. In addition to the above, I am also involved in research on game theory and existential psychology.
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Motivation, Goal Setting
- Self and Identity
- Social Cognition
- Cantarero, K., & Van Tilburg, W. A. P. (2014). Too tired to taint the truth: Ego-depletion reduces other-benefitting dishonesty. European Journal of Social Psychology, 44, 743-747. DOI: 0.1002/ejsp.2065
- Igou, E. R., & Van Tilburg, W. A. P. (2015). Ahead of others in the authorship order: Names with middle initials appear earlier in author lists of academic articles in psychology. Frontiers in Psychology, 6. doi:10.3389/fpsyg.2015.00469
- Krys, K., Vauclair, M., Capaldi, C., Lun, V., Bond, M., Domínguez-Espinosa, A., Torres, C., Lipp, O., Manickam, S., Xing, C., Antalíková, R., Pavlopoulos, V., Teyssier, J., Hur, T., Hansen, K., Szarota, P., Ahmed, R., Burtceva, E., Chkhaidze, A., Cenko, E., Denoux, P., Fülöp, M., Hassan, A., Igbokwe, D., Işık, İ., Javangwe, G., Malbran, M., Maricchiolo, F., Mikarsa, H., Miles, L., Nader, M., Park, J., Rizwan, M., Salem, R., Schwarz, B., Shah, I., Sun, Ch., Van Tilburg, W. A. P., Wagner, W., Wise, R, & Yu, A. (2016). Be careful where you smile: Culture shapes judgments of intelligence and honesty of smiling individuals. Journal of Nonverbal Behavior, 40, 101-116. doi: 10.1007/s10919-015-0226-4
- Maher, P. J., Van Tilburg, W. A. P., & Van den Tol, A. J. M. (2013). Meaning in music: Deviations from expectations in music prompt outgroup derogation. European Journal of Social Psychology, 43, 449-454. DOI: 10.1002/ejsp.1969
- Moynihan, A. D., Van Tilburg, W. A. P., Igou, E. R., Wisman, A., Donnelly, A., & Mulcaire, J. (2015). Eaten up by boredom: Unhealthy eating alleviates a lack of sensation and aversive self-awareness under boredom. Frontiers in Psychology, 6. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2015.00369
- Van Tilburg, W. A. P., & Igou, E. R. (in press). Boredom begs to differ: Differentiation from other negative emotions. Emotion. doi: 10.1037/emo0000233
- Van Tilburg, W. A. P., & Igou, E. R (in press). Can Boredom Help? Increased Prosocial Intentions in Response to Boredom. Self and Identity. doi: 10.1080/15298868.2016.1218925
- Van Tilburg, W. A. P., & Igou, E. R. (in press). Going to political extremes in response to boredom. European Journal of Social Psychology. doi: 10.1002/ejsp.2205
- Van Tilburg, W. A. P., & Igou, E. R. (2014). From Van Gogh to Lady Gaga: Artist eccentricity increases perceived artistic skill and art appreciation. European Journal of Social Psychology, 44, 93-103.
- Van Tilburg, W. A. P., & Igou, E. R. (2014). Moving onwards: An action continuation strategy in finding the way. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 27, 408-418. DOI: 10.1002/bdm.1817
- Van Tilburg, W. A. P., & Igou, E. R. (2014). The Impact of Middle Names: Middle Name Initials Enhance Evaluations of Intellectual Performance. European Journal of Social Psychology, 44, 400-411.
- Van Tilburg, W. A. P., & Igou, E. R. (2013). De zin van een verveeld bestaan. [The purpose of a boring existence]. In-Mind Magazine, 1.
- Van Tilburg, W. A. P., & Igou, E. R. (2013). On the meaningfulness of behavior: An expectancy x value approach. Motivation and Emotion, 37, 373-388. DOI: 10.1007/s11031-012-9316-3
- Van Tilburg, W. A. P., & Igou, E. R. (2012). On boredom: Lack of challenge and meaning as distinct boredom experiences. Motivation and Emotion, 36, 181-194. DOI: 10.1007/s11031-011-9234-9
- Van Tilburg, W. A. P., & Igou, E. R. (2011). On boredom and social identity: A pragmatic meaning-regulation approach. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 37, 1679-1691. DOI: 10.1177/0146167211418530
- Van Tilburg, W. A. P., & Igou, E. R. (2011). On the meaningfulness of existence: When life salience boosts adherence to worldviews. European Journal of Social Psychology, 41, 740-750. DOI: 10.1002/ejsp.819
- Van Tilburg, W. A. P., Igou, E. R., & Sedikides, C. (2013). In search of meaningfulness: Using nostalgia as an antidote to boredom. Emotion, 13, 450-461. DOI: 10.1037/a0030442
- Van Tilburg, W. A. P., Sedikides, C., & Wildschut, T. (2015). The mnemonic muse: Nostalgia fosters creativity through openness to experience. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 59, 1-7. DOI: 10.1016/j.jesp.2015.02.002
- Wildschut, T., Brüder, M., Robertson, S., Van Tilburg, W. A. P., & Sedikides, C. (2014). Collective nostalgia: A group-level emotion that confers unique benefits on the group. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 107, 844-863. DOI: 10.1037/a0037760
- Igou, E. R., Van Dongen, F., & Van Tilburg, W. A. P. (2012). Preferences. In V. S. Ramachandran (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Human Behavior (Vol. 3, pp. 152-159). Academic Press.
- Advanced Research Methods
- Cognitive Psychology and Psycholinguistics
- Economic Psychology
- Empirical Psychology
- Major Research Project Coordinator (i.e., Masters Thesis)
- Psychology and Everyday Life
- Psychology and Society
- Psychology of Individual and Social Well-Being
- Research Methods
Wijnand A. P. Van Tilburg
Department of Psychology
King's College London
London SE1 3QD