I received my Bachelors and Research Masters degrees in social psychology from Tilburg University in 2006 and 2008, respectively. In 2011, I completed my PhD degree at the University of Limerick, investigating the psychological signature and consequences of boredom in collaboration with Dr. Eric Igou. This was followed by a post as lecturer (assistant professor) in psychology, lecturing mainly on statistics and economic psychology. In April 2013, I joined the School of Psychology of the University of Southampton as Research Fellow working primarily with Prof. Constantine Sedikides and Dr. Tim Wildschut.
I am member of the Centre for Research on Self and Identity and am a social cognition researcher. My research mainly concerns decision making, emotion, and motivation, using experimental methods. A major part of my research involves the study of nostalgia and boredom, and how these experiences affect phenomena such as economic behaviour, intergroup processes, and self-regulation. In addition to the above, I am also involved in research on game theory and existential psychology.
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Motivation, Goal Setting
- Self and Identity
- Social Cognition
- Van Tilburg, W. A. P., & Igou, E. R. (in press). Moving onwards: An action continuation strategy in finding the way. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making. DOI: 10.1002/bdm.1817
- Van Tilburg, W. A. P., & Igou, E. R. (in press). From Van Gogh to Lady Gaga: Artist eccentricity increases perceived artistic skill and art appreciation. European Journal of Social Psychology.
- Wildschut, T., Bruder, M., Robertson, S., Van Tilburg, W. A. P., Sedikides, C. (in press). Collective nostalgia: A group-level emotion that confers unique benefits on the group. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.
- Maher, P. J., Van Tilburg, W. A. P., & Van den Tol, A. J. M. (2013). Meaning in music: Deviations from expectations in music prompt outgroup derogation. European Journal of Social Psychology, 43, 449-454. DOI: 10.1002/ejsp.1969
- Van Tilburg, W. A. P., & Igou, E. R. (2014). The Impact of Middle Names: Middle Name Initials Enhance Evaluations of Intellectual Performance. European Journal of Social Psychology, 44, 400-411.
- Van Tilburg, W. A. P., & Igou, E. R. (2013). On the meaningfulness of behavior: An expectancy x value approach. Motivation and Emotion, 37, 373-388. DOI: 10.1007/s11031-012-9316-3
- Van Tilburg, W. A. P., & Igou, E. R. (2013). De zin van een verveeld bestaan. [The purpose of a boring existence]. In-Mind Magazine, 1.
- Van Tilburg, W. A. P., & Igou, E. R. (2012). On boredom: Lack of challenge and meaning as distinct boredom experiences. Motivation and Emotion, 36, 181-194. DOI: 10.1007/s11031-011-9234-9
- Van Tilburg, W. A. P., & Igou, E. R. (2011). On the meaningfulness of existence: When life salience boosts adherence to worldviews. European Journal of Social Psychology, 41, 740-750. DOI: 10.1002/ejsp.819
- Van Tilburg, W. A. P., & Igou, E. R. (2011). On boredom and social identity: A pragmatic meaning-regulation approach. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 37, 1679-1691. DOI: 10.1177/0146167211418530
- Van Tilburg, W. A. P., Igou, E. R., & Sedikides, C. (2013). In search of meaningfulness: Using nostalgia as an antidote to boredom. Emotion, 13, 450-461. DOI: 10.1037/a0030442
- Igou, E. R., Van Dongen, F., & Van Tilburg, W. A. P. (2012). Preferences. In V. S. Ramachandran (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Human Behavior (Vol. 3, pp. 152-159). Academic Press.
- Advanced Research Methods
- Cognitive Psychology and Psycholinguistics
- Economic Psychology
- Empirical Psychology
- Major Research Project Coordinator (i.e., Masters Thesis)
- Psychology and Everyday Life
- Psychology of Individual and Social Well-Being
- Research Methods
Wijnand A. P. Van Tilburg
School of Psychology
University of Southampton
SO17 1BJ Southampton