I received my Bachelors and Research Masters degrees in social psychology from Tilburg University in 2006 and 2008. In 2011, I completed my PhD degree at the University of Limerick, investigating the psychological signature and consequences of boredom, followed by a post as lecturer (assistant professor) in psychology . In April 2013, I joined the School of Psychology of the University of Southampton as Research Fellow.
My research mainly concerns social cognition, emotion, and experimental existential psychology. A major focus of my research involves the study of nostalgia and boredom, and how these experiences affect phenomena such as aggression, intergroup processes, memory, creativity, and prosocial behavior. A reoccurring theme throughout this research is the notion that emotions such as nostalgia and boredom form an important part of the self-regulatory processes associated with people's attempts to find meaning in their life and behaviors.
In addition to the above, I am also involved in research on loneliness, life and mortality salience, problem solving, and temporal discounting.
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Motivation, Goal Setting
- Self and Identity
- Social Cognition
- Van Tilburg, W. A. P., & Igou, E. R. (in press). On the meaningfulness of behavior: An expectancy x value approach. Motivation and Emotion. DOI: 10.1007/s11031-012-9316-3
- Maher, P. J. M., Van TIlburg, W. A. P., & Van den Tol, A. J. M. (in press). Meaning in music: Deviations from expectations in music prompt outgroup derogation. European Journal of Social Psychology.
- Van Tilburg, W. A. P., Igou, E. R., & Sedikides, C. (in press). In search of meaningfulness: Nostalgia as an antidote to boredom. Emotion.
- Van Tilburg, W. A. P., & Igou, E. R. (2012). On boredom: Lack of challenge and meaning as distinct boredom experiences. Motivation and Emotion, 36, 181-194.
- Van Tilburg, W. A. P., & Igou, E. R. (2011). On the meaningfulness of existence: When life salience boosts adherence to worldviews. European Journal of Social Psychology, 41, 740-750.
- Van Tilburg, W. A. P., & Igou, E. R. (2011). On boredom and social identity: A pragmatic meaning-regulation approach. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 37, 1679-1691.
- Igou, E. R., Van Dongen, F., & Van Tilburg, W. A. P. (2012). Preferences. In V. S. Ramachandran (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Human Behavior (Vol. 3, pp. 152-159). Academic Press.
- Advanced Research Methods
- Cognitive Psychology and Psycholinguistics
- Economic Psychology
- Empirical Psychology
- Major Research Project Coordinator (i.e., Masters Thesis)
- Psychology and Everyday Life
- Research Methods
Wijnand A. P. Van Tilburg
School of Psychology
University of Southampton
SO17 1BJ Southampton